From Westside Review

"Art is Business"© 2026 Vanessa Stokes. All rights reserved.

A Note About This Work
Many of the ideas, frameworks, practices, and methodologies shared throughout this publication are original works developed through Creative Development Solutions. They represent years of practice, observation, documentation, and refinement, and continue to evolve through ongoing work in the community.
This month's featured article is Community Engagement as an Art Practice™.

In this article, I explore the idea that community engagement is more than a strategy for gathering input. It is a creative practice rooted in listening, curiosity, relationship, and shared authorship. When we approach engagement as an art practice, we move beyond participation toward creating conditions where people can meaningfully shape the places they call home.

Read an excerpt below, then subscribe to Westside Review on Substack and read the full article online.

Artists work with paint, clay, photography, movement, words, and sound. Increasingly, I have come to understand my own medium as relationship, conversation, observation and presence. The act of showing up and paying attention. Community engagement, at its best, is not outreach or public participation. It is the creative practice of witnessing.

 

Vanessa Stokes from Substack article “Community Engagement as An Art Practice™”
 
From Westside Lens
Stories don't belong to one person.

Over the coming months, Westside Lens will document the people, places, conversations, and everyday moments that make our neighborhoods extraordinary. Through short films, photography, interviews, and visual storytelling, we'll capture development as it happens—not just in buildings, but in relationships, creativity, and community life.

Westside Lens is also an invitation.

If you're photographing Austin, writing reflections, documenting neighborhood history, or simply noticing the beauty of everyday life, I'd love to hear from you. In the future, there will be opportunities for community members to contribute photographs, stories, poems, essays, and other creative work that helps tell the story of our neighborhood from the inside out.

The lens belongs to all of us.

Click here to subscribe to Westside Lens

 
Growing the Garden
A few weeks ago, I claimed my plot at Harambee Garden. Before I planted a single seed, there was work to do because the weeds had taken over.

I filled five burlap bags before I could even see the soil beneath them. Then I added fresh topsoil, returned a few days later, and finally planted tomatoes, onions, peppers, and herbs.

Gardens have a way of reminding us that development cannot be rushed.

The ground has to be prepared to make room for what wants to grow. That is intention. Then there is the waiting game, tending, observing and trusting in the process. 

One of my favorite moments happened before I even finished planting. I met someone I'd only known through Facebook, and we spent time talking about community and what it means to create spaces where people genuinely belong.

That conversation stayed with me and in many ways, it became part of what is now emerging as Westside Conversations: Living Studio.

Sometimes development begins with a seed and sometimes it begins with a conversation. Often, they're the same thing.

 
Ways to Participate
If this work resonates with you, I'd love your support.

I'm currently raising funds to launch Westside Conversations: Living Studio, expand my ongoing community engagement practice, and continue building the public programming that will one day live inside Outwest Gallery & Café.

Your contribution helps create spaces where neighbors can gather, artists can lead, stories can be documented, and new possibilities for our community can emerge.

Whether you make a donation, share the campaign with a friend, subscribe to Westside Review, or simply forward this newsletter, you're helping build something that belongs to all of us.

Thank you for being part of this journey.

— GoFundMe

 
Looking Ahead
August marks the beginning of a new chapter.

Here's what I'm looking forward to sharing next month:

The launch of Westside Conversations: Living Studio.

A new essay in Westside Review.

Continued fundraising and development updates for Outwest Gallery & Café.

More from the evolving Creative Development Model and Creative Development Solutions.

New opportunities to participate in community conversations and creative practice.

The work continues to grow, and I'm grateful to have you walking alongside me.

 
Until next time...
The studio is always open.

The practice continues.




Phantom Gallery CHI

From Westside Review

"Art is Business"© 2026 Vanessa Stokes. All rights reserved. A Note About This Work Many of the ideas, frameworks, practices, and ...